[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

Warren Baird photogeekmtl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:42:12 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:19 AM, vale <vales at gmx.de> wrote:

> its a fact, that freerunners wlan is far away from optimum.
>   [...]

> -> wlan drivers not working well
> i think this should also be a high priority aspect to work on for Openmoko.

I definitely agree.

I was recently at a conference and trying to use my freerunner as a mobile
web device with the conference wlan - an open network, so I didn't have to
worry about encryption.   I connected with my laptop a number of times, and
everything ran smoothly - however, my FR gave me no end of problems.  If I
rebooted and tried connecting with Mofi, I could sometimes connect - maybe 1
time in 3.   Once I connected, I could browse for a while with Minimo (which
worked quite nicely), but then it would hang, and I'd have to reboot several
times again before I could get connected again.

I've had similar experiences before - I can rarely connect to our open guest
network at my office, I've never managed to connect successfully the few
times I've tried at Cafe's with free wifi, and I haven't managed to get it
to connect at all to our wifi network at home.

As much as I love my FR, I must admit that the whole experience had me
thinking lustful thoughts about my wife's iPhone...

BTW - I'm running FDOM 20080913.