Installing QT extended on SD

Jonathan Schultz jonathan at imatix.com
Fri Oct 3 01:23:03 CEST 2008

I've tried to install Qt extended 4.4 onto my SD, so I still have Qt 4.3
to fall back on until I'm satisfied with 4.4  What happens when I boot
is that the kernel appears to boot correctly and I can connect via USP
but the display manager never starts.  I can however see that qpe is
working hard, as is hald, but not at all clear what they are doing.

Possible issues that I can see:

Converting the jffs2 image into a tarball, I could find no clear
instructions.  I mounted the image via a loopback device and created a
tarball using:

> tar -czf ~/qtopia-4.4.1-gta02-rootfs-10011058.tar.gz <mountpoint>/*

I can imagine that there may be some other options to the tar command
that may resolve some issue.

The other potential problem that I can see is that Qt wants to be
installed on a flash chip.  I applied the fix described here:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia#Pointing_Qtopia_to_the_SD_Card
However it's not clear that the same fix works for Qt extended.

Any suggestions?

Jonathan