[2008.9]Debugging the FreeRunner Kernel?

Alex Osborne ato at meshy.org
Fri Oct 3 10:30:17 CEST 2008

Helo Arigead,

Arigead wrote:
> Does anybody have an opinion
> that it might not be the kernel? As it happens all the time for various
> apps I'm assuming that it's something core.

When it locks up, does the device stop responding to ping over USB?
That would indicate the whole kernel is getting messed up by the lock ups.

> Would the debug board enable me to get to the bottom
> of this?
It would probably help to some extent.  You could see the kernel
messages over the serial console and potentially even inspect what the
CPU is doing when it hangs over JTAG.  Although if it's a hardware
fault, which seems likely if nobody else seems to be experiencing random
lockups, I guess it could be really hard to diagnose even with the debug
board.
> Will somebody
> please reply so that I can tell it's got to the list

Your mails are getting to the list.  See for example:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openmoko-community/2008/10/1/3465464

Cheers,

Alex