voip on Debian

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 17:04:41 CEST 2008

Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> Alastair Johnson wrote:
>> Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
>>> About this, using this alsa control file, can you get the caller voice
>>> only in the earpiece?
>>> If I use it in a Om2008 I get the voice both in the earpiece and in the
>>> main speaker!
>>>
>> I just checked the file and it is clearly wrong as it says:
>>
>> 	control.3 {
>> 		comment.access 'read write'
>> 		comment.type INTEGER
>> 		comment.count 2
>> 		comment.range '0 - 127'
>> 		iface MIXER
>> 		name 'Headphone Playback Volume'
>> 		value.0 127
>> 		value.1 127
>> 	}
>> 	control.4 {
>> 		comment.access 'read write'
>> 		comment.type INTEGER
>> 		comment.count 2
>> 		comment.range '0 - 127'
>> 		iface MIXER
>> 		name 'Speaker Playback Volume'
>> 		value.0 0
>> 		value.1 0
>> 	}
>>
>> This will do as you say since control.3 is for the headset/speaker, and
>> control.4 for the handset earpiece. I don't know if this is the result
>> of someone committing an old file or what.
>
> Ok, the problem is that if I invert the values I heard voice in the
> earpiece, but I continue hearing it also in the main speaker!
> It's really annoying! :|

I'm surprised unless it's a small amount of bleedthrough. Setting both
channels of control.3 to 0 should silence it. This should silence the
speaker entirely:

         control.94 {
                 comment.access 'read write'
                 comment.type BOOLEAN
                 comment.count 1
                 iface MIXER
                 name 'Amp Spk Switch'
                 value false
         }

> Anyone got it working correctly? In this situation VoIP is not usable... :(

See:
	http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Linphone
This points to http://www.koolu.org/voip-handset.state which I have used
successfully with the CLI version of linphone compiled using
mokomakefile a while back. FDOM currently has a more recent linphone
with GUI and presumably a working voip-handset.state too.