[2008.9] Wifi now reliable

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Oct 3 19:25:04 CEST 2008

El día Friday, October 03, 2008 a las 12:28:37PM +0530, Nishit Dave escribió:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk>wrote:
>
> > Nishit,
> >
> > The company that sold you your Freerunner offered you refund, already.
> >
> > I assumed that you would take this, leave the list and STOP FUCKING
> > WHINING.
> >
> > I guess this was too much for me to hope for, huh?
> >
> > Dude, I will decide what to say, till the time I return the FR, if I decide
> to do so.  If you don't like what I say, complain to the list maintainers.
> Otherwise, hold your tongue or come up with a solution.
>
> I have showed my commitment to a cause by putting my money where my mouth
> is, and I didn't do it because I wanted to hop on to the embedded linux
> shebang.  If I feel that I have been let down, I have every right to say
> so.  Refunds do not make up for lost time.

I own the FR gadget now for 2-3 weeks, I think, and I'm so happy with it
and I use it in daily work as I did with my normal cellphone, a BenQ
Siemens S68, which I have returned already because I think the FR is
stable enough for me;

I can do what I want with it:

- I can SSH to the Linux and install or change what I feel fitting for
  me or missing there;
- for me Wifi works now as it should;
- for me GPRS and PPPD together with my smaller laptop (a eeePC 900 on
  which I have installed FreeBSD 7.0) let me go to Internet; I can use
  the FR like a normal router box to Internet;

and

- I can even make phone calls and write SMS to my love

What do I need more at the moment?

Ofc, there are things to solve, for exmaple the power/duration of the
batery; I've bought an original 2nd one to not fall into the 'dead
battery' pitfall; and I've ordered the Minty kit to build one based on
AA batteries; ofc, there is a lot of other stuff todo or build; but this
belongs already to 'it would be nice if also ...';

So, if someone wants a cellphone like all teenies have them, one from
Nokia or Ericson, with a camara to take pictures in the subway, well
just go for it and buy it; if not stop screaming and make use of what
you have and see what we could do;

just my honest thoughts about;

	matthias

--