Looking for Free time zone map data

Jan Luebbe jluebbe at lasnet.de
Sun Oct 5 16:16:39 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 21:15 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> In Australia we change DST on a per state basis - we are 3 weeks behind
> in this to Eastern states, and guess where the carriers are based, and
> what happened on many/most mobiles here last night ...

The way it should work is based on the geographical location. The
location then needs to be mapped to tzdata entry (which should contain
all relevant DST information).

> When travelling across timezones, its nice to be able to control whats
> happening.
>
> When it goes wrong it WILL really stuff your day - sorry, you were late
> to the job interview ...
>
> Please, please if you decide to go ahead with such a monstrosity,
> include a way for us to turn it off and provide manual changes.

Of course the will be a way to turn it off. Nevertheless it would be
nice to get off the plane and just have the correct time zone.

Jan