Freerunner loading in USB host mode?

Andy Green andy at
Sun Oct 5 21:23:28 CEST 2008

| Hi there,
| I am thinking about trying switch the FR (running Debian) to USB host
| mode, put in a USB hub and connect a external USB Disk, a keyboard, a
| mouse and the USB charger that comes with the FR. Would that work,
| that is, can the FR be charged while being in host mode so the battery
| doesn't get drained at once by the external drive?

You can do it, but you need to be in logical host mode

~ - echo host > /sys/devices/platform/s3c2410-ohci/usb_mode

but NOT electrically in host mode

~ - echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-host.0/hostmode

The reason is that part of the deal of being electrically in host mode
disconnects the USB socket V+ from the PMU, that alone will defeat the
possibility of charging no matter what else you do.

Another side effect of not being electrically in host mode is you need
to externally add 2 x 15K pulldown resistors, one on D+ and the other on
D-, with that you should be able to have the external power, charging,
and USB devices all at the same time.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -