Looking for Free time zone map data

Sascha Wessel wessel at nefkom.net
Mon Oct 6 00:00:48 CEST 2008

Hi!

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 02:57:06PM +0200, Jan Lübbe wrote:
> We were thinking about how to handle timezones in the FSO framework and
> decided we would like to be able to detect the time zone automatically
> based on the current location. I've search for a database with the
> necessary information, but i only found a commercial provider which
> doesn't allow redistribution.
>
> Does anyone have an idea how we could solve this problem?

Not really what you are looking for, but maybe interesting anyway...

* zone.tab file in the tzdata package: /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab [1]
* The World Factbook: Standard Time Zones of the World [2]

Greetings,
Sascha

[1] ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2008f.tar.gz
[2] https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/reference_maps/pdf/time_zones.pdf