The Lost Openmoko Community ( what's a community manager to do?)

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 10:06:33 CEST 2008

One of the things that Risto was complaining about was the number of
distros for the Freerunner, and "they're all incomplete!!"

His words "why don't the developers feel ok to contribute directly to
2007.x and 2008.x but 'fork' their own distros?" echo my own
complaints a couple of months ago in my message "Community
contributions to core apps & features" 9 weeks ago.

You & Sean have said that you want to follow your own vision in the
software side of things - developers can't supply patches for power-
user features (that make the UI more complex) and expect you to
include them in the "core" distro, if you're trying to produce a phone
software suite for grandmothers. And I really understand where you're
coming from with this - you have to sell loads more volume if you want
your hardware business to be successful.

So the only answer to this IS to have more distros. And really, anyone
complaining about the state of the current software stacks should have
been here 3 months ago. Back then it was "Openmoko shouldn't have
shipped broken hardware with this GPS bug!" Isn't that now all fixed
in the kernel drivers? No-one who sees how much the situation has
improved is complaining now.

I appreciate there's some room for compromise between "grandmothers"
and power-users on the state of the software. You can start with a
basic interface and have a framework so that extra features are only
shown once installed & configured by the advanced users. But there is
no "one true way" - if we look at the state of desktop window
managers, we see that. This is a relatively mature "market" - Gnome &
KDE have both been around and stable for several years. When Risto or
some other newcomer looks at Openmoko & the Freerunner, you cannot
expect them to see a "path" as clear, directed and well-signposted as
that space.

I applaud your effort - you're responding to criticism and asking how
you can fix the problem - but I can't see how a "community manager"
can change anything. You can't exactly deny there are several
Freerunner distros, or that they're all works in progress!

Build the product and the community will come to you!
It already has, it's just a little too early for everyone to see the
fruits of this.

We already have Michael Shiloh providing weekly community updates
(ahem) - IMO a "community manager" would just be a distraction from
Openmoko's real business. You should be concentrating on the hardware,
and if you're employing an additional member of staff then make it a
kernel programmer, so that your hardware runs more smoothly for the
distros that evolve around it. Or get FSO complete sooner, so that
(again) all the distros benefit.

Running a business is all about customer satisfaction, but you can't
keep EVERYONE happy. There will always be 1 or 2 who "don't get it",
and they just happen to be vocal about it. You've already satisfied
99% of us with your open-source mobile phone platform - already so
many people are bringing their own ideas and (more importantly) work
to that. Ignore the whiners! I don't include Risto in that
characterisation, but I don't see how you can please him.

In 6 months time you will have some amazing community distros for your
phones, and at least then the "incomplete" complaint will be
satisfied. Those that "don't get it", meanwhile, will have found
something else to complain about. This is the nature of open source.

Stroller.