[Qtextended] Kernel modules from mwester

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Thu Oct 9 13:34:15 CEST 2008

Nishit Dave wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using the current kernel for qtexended on FR available from
> mwester.  I also downloaded the minimal kernel module set from
> http://moko.mwester.net/dl.html#kernels.
> The version of the module set and the kernel seems to be matching, but
> after extracting the modules on my system, I now have two directories
> under /lib/modules (as I had expected): 2.6.24 (the original kernel) and
> 2.6.24mw-g291a9d50 (the minimal module set).

A given kernel is going to look for its modules down only one path.  We
have been using these build-specific paths in the git build system for
some time, they eliminate the problem that incorrect modules get loaded
into kernel space when you change the main kernel binary.  I dunno what
our packaging side is doing about modules because it's not discussed
anywhere that I read.

Anyway it's good news mwester is using the same system, it just means
that you only actually need the dir that matches the build stamp of the
monolithic kernel you are using; any other dirs left lying around don't
make any trouble except waste space if you will never revert to the
kernel that matches them.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)