[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Thu Oct 9 18:10:55 CEST 2008

Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 16:19 -0700, Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> Just did that. I reorganized the WLAN page and incoporated a number of
>> community suggestions, including Tom's.
>>
>> In particular, this should work for most people:
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Wifi#Using_iwconfig_manually
>>
>> Feedback and other working examples appreciated.
>
> Is feedback by mail ok ?

It is my favorite method actually :-)

> I always use the manual iwconfig+udhcpc method. It works most of the
> time right after reboot, but often looses the network after a few
> minutes (sometimes it works for hals an hour). After that, redoing the
> iwconfig sometimes works, sometimes not and another reboot is in order.

Very interesting. Do you kill udhcpc in between invokations? I think
it's a daemon.

Of course the real issue is why in looses the connection. I presume you
have suspend disabled?

Have you tried a different channel? One of my neighbors is on a close
channel and things got better when I changed my AP to an unused channel.
iwlist is a great help here.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Wifi#Disable_power_management
suggests that power management caused problems. You might try this too.

Please let us know what works and what doesn't. Better yet add it to the
wiki.

Michael