1/3: Openmoko community feelings

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Sat Oct 11 02:36:55 CEST 2008

Hi!

It's great to see all the discussion (see
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-October/thread.html#32465)
on the list about the community. I've not had time to comment on the
posts earlier so I now wrote three blog posts to keep up the
discussion. You can read the full text of the first post (I'll release
the rest two in the following days) at
http://risto.kurppa.fi/blog/discussion-13-openmoko-community-feelings/.

Here are some key points of the first post:

#####################################
for full text, see
http://risto.kurppa.fi/blog/discussion-13-openmoko-community-feelings/

My previous post about the status of the Openmoko community raised
some good discussion about the Openmoko community and development. I
haven't been able to reply earlier so I'll try to write here some of
my thoughts to clarify the original post and present you some of the
comments by others.

The discussion is in three parts to make it easier to read. This first
post discusses the status of the community. The second post is the
'wishlist' from some community members to Openmoko and the third will
discuss one of the possible solutions to improve communication.

It looks like that most of others who replied share my thoughts. The
comments without the e-mail addresses are from community mailing list,
the rest from the comments of my previous post. Remember, these are
only parts from the messages so please check the original posts for
more details!

--comments by other authors removed, see
http://risto.kurppa.fi/blog/discussion-13-openmoko-community-feelings/
--

It looks like that there some are not that satisfied with the current
situation. Some bought the phone thinking they get a phone suitable

My biggest concern is not that none of the distros we have works
great, I still have my old phone around. What makes me feel
uncomfortable is feeling uninformed about the status and development
as well as having this feeling of uselessness but that might change
when I upgrade to a supported distro and hopefully will be able to
report some bugs.

--comments by other authors removed, see
http://risto.kurppa.fi/blog/discussion-13-openmoko-community-feelings/
--

I have to agree with the authors here: Openmoko has done a great job
creating two models of a free, linux-capable GSM phone with great

I must admit that the weekly engineering news was something I didn't
know about earlier (thanks sadsammy and Minh!) and I'm very pleased to
see this released. Could someone post these to Planet and community
mailing lists?

So some feel that there's a lack of information, some are bored with
many incomplete distros as others hail Openmoko for their
achievements. Obviously Openmoko has done something great but there's
still something to do better with the community.

for full text, see