[debian] impressions from fresh debian install today

joakim at verona.se joakim at verona.se
Sat Oct 11 21:06:01 CEST 2008

Hello list,

I've been running Debian on the Freerunner for a while. During this time
I was not very friendly to the install and in the end I totaly destroyed
my installation in unknown ways.

Well, I just bought a new shine 8gb microsd card, and tried a fresh
install and wrote down these impressions:

following the install recipy is quite easy, and it doesnt take so long
time to complete(as I've already changed the uboot to accomodate ext2
partitions)

The version of FSO that now comes with Debian works pretty well out of
the box! previously ringtones didnt work, but now it works fine.

The only stuff that starts by default is the matchbox wm, zhone, and the
matchbox kbd. I think this is too little, and that a panel should also
be there by default. I tried the matchbox panel, but couldnt get it to
work in a way I liked. In the end I installed xfce. I now run the xfce
panel, and the matchbox wm. I also installed the gtkstylus lib, and
enabled rightclick emulation with "export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so".

I also added a swapfile.

I think this config should be default for a debian install, it would
provide instant gratification for Debian/Freerunner users.

--
Joakim Verona