Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at
Sun Oct 12 20:07:54 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 08:26:56PM +0300, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> So now we can install stuff from OPKG (ssh to your phone and then copy
> the link from and then opkg install
> or from the community repo
> (opkg install asdasdasd)
> At the moment I don't see these connected. On Freerunner I can't see
> me going to to search for new cool software and then click
> the link on the mobile browser to download the file and then use CLI
> or some graphical installer tool (is there any around?). I don't even
> know if the browsers support downloading..
> I think it's great that gives the applications more
> visibility: user doesn't have to see previous releases, number of svn
> revisions for this release and so on. Find the software you want,
> click and install is what's needed.
> So to make this useful on Freerunner (not only desktop)
> we need a web browser that's able to open .ipk links with an installer
> or
> the .ipk files in are useless and people install stuff from
> community repos (unless there will be an opkg repository)
> What do you think?

If you want "viruses" sure, yeah, go ahead :)

The packages would better be installable only if signed by a key the
user has installed himself (by default, of course, OM's repo key should
be included).

Like Debian and Fedora do, for instance...

Today is Setting Orange, the 66th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?