FBReader now working on the FreeRunner

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Sun Oct 12 21:22:09 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I’ve just spent the day hacking on FBReader to make it work correctly
under OpenMoko (OM2008.*). Until now it’s been pretty much unusable due
to the GPE version of FBReader expecting you to be using a device that
has some physical buttons which then get bound to vital functions like
turning the page. The changes I’ve made are as follows:

     * Add scroll forward/backward buttons to the toolbar
     * Add fullscreen mode button to the toolbar (doesn’t have an icon
at the moment, it’s the third button from the right)
     * Change fullscreen mode so that it doesn’t hide the toolbar
(otherwise there’s no way to get back from fullscreen mode)
     * Switch to using the much prettier blue tango icons
     * Make the line separation larger so the text doesn’t overlap
     * Reduce the font size
     * Change the default colours to match openmoko’s colour scheme
better (and so it’s a little easier on the eyes)

And most importantly…

     * Make it so that tapping the sides of the screen turns the book’s
pages (left = backwards, right = forwards)

Here’s a screenshot of what it used to look like:

And what it looks like with my patches:

To install it simply run:

opkg install http://mikeasoft.com/~mike/openmoko/enca_1.9-r3_armv4t.ipk
(all on one line)

For those interested the patch can also be downloaded from

Bonus points for anyone who knows what book I’m testing it with in the
screenshots (without googling) ;).