Editing text files

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Oct 13 00:58:35 CEST 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:33:28 -0400, Stefan Monnier
<monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> How do people edit text files on their FreeRunner (other than via an
> SSH-over-USB connection)?
> `sed' seems to be about as good as I can get, since `vi' requires the
> ESC key to do anything useful, but the keyboard doesn't seem to provide
> any way to enter it (but even if it did, motion with hjkl is about as
> painful as it gets).
> Clearly, we can do much better.
>

>         Stefan

I use Raster's Illume keyboard, and select the Terminal layout, and most of
my editing is done with mc, Midnight Commander.  "mc -e text.txt" fires it
up editing that text file, though I usually have it running in file manager
mode already, so I F4 to edit (esc then '4' subs in mc for F4) or tap the
'edit' button at the bottom.