wpa_supplicant -u ?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 13 15:22:28 CEST 2008

I'm having trouble getting wifi to work:
I have created a wpa_supplicant.conf file (copied from some other
machine), and have added "wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
to /etc/network/interfaces.

Then `ifup eth0' sometimes works, but usually only right after boot.
The problem seems to be different from the "wifi only works once"
problem described in the wiki, because the symptom is only that
wpa_supplicant fails to associate (it keeps trying to associate, but to
no avail).

The one odd thing I notice, is that I always get 2 wpa processes
running: one "wpa_supplicant -u" and one with the usual list of
arguments specifying the interface, conf file, etc...

What's this "wpa_supplicant -u" doing here and who starts it?

Also, it seems that the om2008.9's Wifi GUI (in the Settings section)
doesn't use ifup/ifdown (e.g. it starts up a "wpa_supplicant -u" only).
That's too bad.  Is there some way to get them to cooperate better?

        Stefan