Default OM settings, no lan messed up

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Oct 13 19:36:23 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:10:28 -0700, Rodney Myers <rdmyers at mtpalomar.net>
wrote:
> OS = OS X 10.5.5
>
> I received my OM this past week. Took some time to locate an ATT sim
> card that would work.
>
> Yesterday, I was able to follow the instructions at;
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MacOS_X
>
> ,and using the link;
>
> http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9
>
> grabbing the rootfs of Om2008.9-gta02-20080916.rootfs.jffs2
>
> to flash the phone. Once flashed, I noticed there was no console icon
> anymore
>
> I was able to SSH into the OM. Once I did that, I edited & changed
> the /etc/network/interfaces file to reflect "my" lan.
>
> 192.168.1.***
>
> Before I logged out, I catted the file to make sure that I had
> correctly set that file. It all looked correct
>
> I then logged out of the phone & restarted the phone, thinking I now
> would be able to ssh, without jumping through hoops.
>
> No such luck.
>
> Now, the IP address is neither the default nor anything on the
> 192.168.1.*** network..
>
> Any help in getting the phone functioning again, would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks

What is the full IP, gateway, and subnet mask you set on the FreeRunner,
and on the USB network interface on your host?  Does it overlap the subnet
on any other interface on the host?

If you are able to set up a packet sniffer on USB network device on the
host, try tapping 'installer' on the FR and see what IP the connection
attempt comes from.