Default OM settings, no lan messed up

Matthias Camenzind m.camenzind at live.com
Mon Oct 13 21:03:54 CEST 2008

> From: rdmyers at mtpalomar.net
> To: community at lists.openmoko.org
> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:04:34 -0700
> Subject: Re: Default OM settings, no lan messed up
>
> On Oct 13, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Joel Newkirk wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:10:28 -0700, Rodney Myers >>
>> wrote:
>>> OS = OS X 10.5.5
>>>
>>> I received my OM this past week. Took some time to locate an ATT sim
>>> card that would work.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I was able to follow the instructions at;
>>>
>>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MacOS_X
>>>
>>> ,and using the link;
>>>
>>> http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9
>>>
>>> grabbing the rootfs of Om2008.9-gta02-20080916.rootfs.jffs2
>>>
>>> to flash the phone. Once flashed, I noticed there was no console icon
>>> anymore
>>>
>>> I was able to SSH into the OM. Once I did that, I edited & changed
>>> the /etc/network/interfaces file to reflect "my" lan.
>>>
>>> 192.168.1.***
>>>
>>> Before I logged out, I catted the file to make sure that I had
>>> correctly set that file. It all looked correct
>>>
>>> I then logged out of the phone & restarted the phone, thinking I now
>>> would be able to ssh, without jumping through hoops.
>>>
>>> No such luck.
>>>
>>> Now, the IP address is neither the default nor anything on the
>>> 192.168.1.*** network..
>>>
>>> Any help in getting the phone functioning again, would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>
>> What is the full IP, gateway, and subnet mask you set on the
>> FreeRunner,
>> and on the USB network interface on your host?  Does it overlap the
>> subnet
>> on any other interface on the host?

>> If you are able to set up a packet sniffer on USB network device on
>> the
>> host, try tapping 'installer' on the FR and see what IP the connection
>> attempt comes from.
>
> I "thought" i had it setup this way
>
> 	address 192.168.1.20
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	network 192.168.1.0
> 	broadcast 192.168.1.255
> 	gateway 192.168.1.101  (my MBP)
>
> My home lan is using 192.168.1.*** range.
>
> No idea on how to sniff packets, at this time.
>
> When I click on the "installer" it pops up a message;
>
> ERROR:
> Cannot access *****. Please check your network
>
> When I plug the OM into the computer, it does show the MAC address, in
> dmesg;
>
> net_lucid_cake_driver_AJZaurusUSB: Ethernet address 40:00:ff:f7:87:5c
Using 192.168.1.x for local network with internet acess and 192.168.0.202 is my freerunner. I find no reason for this but sometimes internet acess from FR won't work, then I run firestarter (a firewall out of the ubuntu repositories) and internet works again (even if i shutdown firestarter).
On freerunner (192.168.1.1 is my router, 192.168.0.200 is my host computer):
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.202
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.0.200
	gateway 192.168.0.200
	up echo nameserver 192.168.1.1> /etc/resolv.conf

On Host (Ubuntu):
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.200
        netmask 255.255.255.192
        post-up /etc/network/freerunner start
        pre-down /etc/network/freerunner stop

the /etc/network/freerunner script you can find in the wiki (USB_Networking in section "Ubuntu, Debian and others")