[om2008.9/FDOM] Charging or Long Power On = Crashing?

Boris Wong lists.boris at bshed.com
Tue Oct 14 07:20:58 CEST 2008

I'm working on a theory of prolonged charging leading to the crashing of
the Freerunner in FDOM/om2008.9. I'm not saying it's definite, but I
have had some experiences of my phone ending up in kernel panic and
where the screen would not turn on after overnight charging without
suspension.

Here is the scenario:
I plug in my Freerunner to the wall adaptor, to let it charge overnight.
I do not use suspension, but I do have the screen turn off
automatically. I sometimes don't unplug/plug it in again to make the
charging indicator (red light and the charging symbol on the screen)
appear. In the morning (6+ hours later), the phone will be in kernel
panic or the device will be on without the screen (calls and things get
through, monitor does not come on).

The questionable theory:
Is there any chance that, since the kernel is not aware that the device
is charging (even though the device still charges to full), will create
crashes or reverse the loop of the battery indicators? I'm aware that
this is a smart battery which can dish out statistics. If the FR does
not know that it is charging, but the power is going up, I might think
that that may cause problems with the logging and power handling from
the kernel.

Just a theory, but I really want to get rid of kernel panics and crashes
after not shutting down for a long time.

Any other theories floating out there that we might want to consider?

-Boris