Openmoko to shift to 2.6.27 kernel ?

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 15 04:21:35 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:03:53 +1100, "Sarton O'Brien"
<roguemoko at roguewrt.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 02:58:13 Joel Newkirk wrote:

>> If there's NO uSD, or the uSD doesn't contain a folder named 'boot' on
> the
>> first partition, with a file named 'uImage.bin', then Qi will boot from
>> NAND.  It's just if you WANT a dual-boot environment that currently Qi
>> doesn't let you do that simply.  As Andy noted in his response to that
>> post, however, he plans for Qi to support user selection of boot, it
> just
>> doesn't do it at this time.  Until it offers the ability to select, then
>> the present behavior (check for kernel on uSD, else use NAND) makes more
>> sense that always going to NAND and only NAND.
>
> I'm guessing with the current scenario, invoking a generic boot from nor
> means
> you lose any benefits of an updated u-boot/qi in nand? As in you may see
> power
> management regressions and the like?
>
> Sarton

Correct.  NOR U-Boot only supports SD booting off FAT+EXT3, for example -
if the kernel isn't in a FAT/VFAT partition it barfs.  (though
interestingly it should be possible to boot the same distro off SD with
either of two kernels - Qi looking for /boot/uImage.bin and NOR UBoot
looking for a uImage file in the root of a FAT partition)