Default OM settings, no lan messed up

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 15 06:45:50 CEST 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:05:53 -0700, Rodney Myers <rdmyers at mtpalomar.net>
wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2008, at 7:13 PM, Joel Newkirk wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:44:34 -0700, Rodney Myers <rdmyers at mtpalomar.net
>> >
>> wrote:

>>> I just attempted to log onto a wide open wifi router. It did not go.
>>>
>>> Anything else I can try, to get the OM working?
>>
>> Put the following into "etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" (and
>> below
>> that edit "/etc/network/interfaces")and try "ifup eth0" manually:

[snipped configs]

> Therein lies the problem. I have no shell access, and no access
> through the USB port, after I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> I was hoping that the OM would access a wide open wifi connection, so
> I could get ahead a bit.

Hmmm, I would have hoped so as well.  (Sorry, I hadn't realized you hadn't
resolved the USBnet matter)

How about a radically different approach then - if you have a card reader,
stick the uSD in it and install a new base system on it (per
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD) and then boot the Freerunner
from it.  SSH into the SD-booted OS and make your changes.  (I think you
need to mount the internal flash manually, not sure)

***Hey Openmoko folks - I think the built-in installer should have a file
dialog to install ipks we place on SD...