No subject

Graeme Gregory graeme at openmoko.org
Wed Oct 15 12:27:22 CEST 2008

> Hi I just recieved an interesting mail in the Xorg MailingList this was
> the contents :
>
> >> Why not just go for the full X11?  Memory wise I found no difference
> >> in the memory usage between X11 and kdrive on the OMAP.
> >
> >I am told that the full Xorg isn't very happy when built against
> >uClibc.
>

> So here's my question, if the memory footprint of kdrive is the same as
> the full xorg, why choose kdrive over the full xorg ?
>
> There might be interesing features in the full server that aren't there
> in kdrive. Plus I've read here that the X driver has got duplicate code
> in the X driver from the framebuffer, so there's no really gain in term
> of size of the driver either...
>
> So here's my question if I am totally wrong or asked a totally stupid
> question I am sorry, as I don't know all the implications.

Ok, I may have mangled the history a little here, but this is the basics
I hope.

When we first started on this kdrive/tinyX was the playground for new
features within the xorg/xf86 family. xorg didn't support touchscreens,
or a configless running. The lack of these features was a killer because
making a user construct an xorg.conf on device was a pain. kdrive also
had the RENDER extension so people could play with shinies.

Xglamo was then created in the kdrive family.

Now OM is going to invest some time in investigating if Xorg or Kdrive
is the best path forward in the future. Xorg has acheived some level of
configless running. Has touchscreen drivers. And the shinies extensions.
It is being used on other embedded boards built from OE as well.

Graeme