Back to the basics: improving user experience

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 16 11:15:59 CEST 2008

2008.9 + updates

A phone that works:
	reliably make and receive calls
	reliably make and receive sms's

At the moment, totally losing sms messages (phone sometimes
hangs/crashes when one comes in) or not waking up if suspended  when one
comes in means that its almost unusable as a phone.

It often takes several boots before the pin dialog comes up. If you
forget while waiting and it does come up but its awhile until you get to
it, it will hang so you have to reboot anyway.  Sometimes restarting X
helps, but not always

Stability:
My average in normal usage is at least two boots a day due to crashes,
and often extra rebooting to check if an sms comes in (sometimes they
will only show on fresh re-registration.  Leaving the phone on and
registered for hours doesnt seem to help - not sure how vodafone
australia takes to retry messages but surely its less that 12 hours.
The only way to stop crashes is not to use the thing! No GPS, no
wireless, no phone calls, and definitely never send/receive an sms :)

I suspect the event/0 thread is at the root of a lot of this so I am
waiting a fix for that.

I dont think I am alone in this - hopefully the new focus means that
these issues can be dealt with.

I am a little concerned though that you think things like boot time is
important enough to mention, but not basic issues like being able to
reliably make a phone call.  Though a faster boot means less time wasted
going through multiple bootups to get the thing registered. :)

I should mention that 2007.2 seemed more stable and mature than 2008
anything still is up until work stopped on it.

BillK