Back to the basics: improving user experience

William Kenworthy billk at
Thu Oct 16 14:38:13 CEST 2008

Cant agree with this.  They are bugs, but none are urgent issues and few
affect a users basic needs - to be able to make phone calls and SMS's

This is where OM lost the plot - it looks pretty, but doesnt work.

Standing joke where I work (there are two of us neo owners - the other
was thinking of selling though) "Whats the difference between an iphone
and a neo - one looks pretty and works, one looks pretty and doesnt
work ..."

qtopia is what people are using NOW, and will for many months yet as far
as I can see. There seem to be only a few issues with its basic
functionality- fix them so its at least usable - please!

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 04:49 -0700, Alasal wrote:
> I agree, we don't have to spend developer time on things that are going away.
> (So please don't fix qtopia)
> And here are the bugs that should be solved (My opinion):
> Landscape mode must work good,
> also for glamo
> Going into landscape mode must be
> smooth
> Landscape mode shouldn't shift
> the screen by 160px
> Let libsdl spit out the correct
> mouse coordinations
> Give the wifi driver more love
> Make the wifi work with
> one-character long ESSID
> Let the wifi also connect with
> WEP networks
> Charger shouldn't stop charging
> when it's still connected
> Fix the gsm reregistering issue.
> (Only if it's not qtopia related)
> Finally fix the python-pygtk
> program
> Fix the echo problem
> Don't let the partition table of
> the sd card be corrupted
> Don't let cpu do nothing and
> still eating 30%
> Keep xglamo at the same
> performance
> Solve the WSOD, so openmoko isn't
> the next windows
> Neil Jerram wrote:
> >
> > I agree that you should not spend time on Qtopia.  Even though I use
> > Qtopia most of the time, I would prefer you to focus all your efforts
> > on the lower levels (up to and including the FSO dbus interfaces)
> > until they are rock solid.
> >
> >        Neil

William Kenworthy <billk at>
Home in Perth!