Back to the basics: improving user experience

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:56:50 CEST 2008

2008/10/16 John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.com>

> Hi,
>
> Like Wolfgang said in
> http://n2.nabble.com/Weekly-Engineering-News-41-2008-td1336450.html
>
> We assembled a team to focus on improving the user experience.  Here
> is our todo list at the moment:
>
> * Reduce boot time.

Low priority, if the phone is stable users may suspend/resume and reboot
rarely.

* Optimize the touch screen driver on freerunner for finger usage.

Medium priority

* A generic python loader to enhance the start up time of python
>  scripts.

My two cents, low priority a 400 Mhz CPU is actually suffering for a lot of
staff coded in Python? I do not like to see other os based device flying
with the same CPU or lower.

* Work with system team to improve suspend/resume user experience.

High priority.

> I would like to ask the community:
>
> What do you want us to work on?

The high priority is to have a rock stable kernel with perfect
suspend/resume cycles. This will affect *all* distro and external efforts.
Qtopia will be more stable with this, and the phone will be ready for a
daily use soon.

The second high priority step is to enhance FSO team and resources, we are
all waiting for a 1.0 rock version.

As openmoko resources and peoples are not infinite, and as the above two
steps requires high knowledge and insider vision, those should be the focus
for *Openmoko official stuff*.

With a rock solid kernel/fso community may contribute easily in writing
applications.

Drive the community or allocate some resource to define/project/analize and
may be code a definitive Dialer for FSO or show your plan, actual docs says
that zhone is only a test application for FSO, paroli is an obscure project.

Stop asu and qtopia on x11 development, it's only a waste of time, our FR
are multi-boot capable so Qtopia may help peoples waiting for all that.

Merge the tree back to oe, and ask them to do a new stable branch if
org.openembedded.dev development is too fast!

Best Regards

    Nicola