Back to the basics: improving user experience

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Oct 17 13:15:33 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:54:47AM -0700, Gothnet wrote:
> Given 2 and 3, a quicker boot time would be nice, but if we could fix the
> things that mean I have to boot it so often it would be helpful.

I can't help much in the other things we'd all like to happen, but after
a cursory (and cursing) introspection through the rcS.d and rc5.d
scripts, I saw lots of room for improvement.

As I get home after work I'll get back to completing my "timestamping"
of scripts to get a gist of where are easy, hard and impossible wins.

One easy win: WTF is xserver-nodm recursively calling itself (only one
step of recursion but 2s are lost in it)

Rui

--
All Hail Discordia!
Today is Setting Orange, the 71st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?