Back to the basics: improving user experience

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at
Fri Oct 17 13:15:33 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:54:47AM -0700, Gothnet wrote:
> Given 2 and 3, a quicker boot time would be nice, but if we could fix the
> things that mean I have to boot it so often it would be helpful.

I can't help much in the other things we'd all like to happen, but after
a cursory (and cursing) introspection through the rcS.d and rc5.d
scripts, I saw lots of room for improvement.

As I get home after work I'll get back to completing my "timestamping"
of scripts to get a gist of where are easy, hard and impossible wins.

One easy win: WTF is xserver-nodm recursively calling itself (only one
step of recursion but 2s are lost in it)

All Hail Discordia!
Today is Setting Orange, the 71st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?