PIM software (was: Back to the basics: improving user experience)

Marijn Kruisselbrink m.kruisselbrink at student.tue.nl
Fri Oct 17 14:53:10 CEST 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 14:43:06 Mark Weinem wrote:

> > > Yes, the do indeed use MySQL!
> >
> > well, if it is supposed to be a part of kde, the use case is clearly a
> > desktop computer.
> > i don't think it would fit a small thing like the neo.
>
> would be great if the KDE guys develop their system beyond the obsolete
> "Desktop"- my sister for example uses a mini netbook as her main desktop
> machine. Desktop systems should be equally usable and funcional  on small
> devices as on powerful machines.
And fortunately that is exaclty what some of us are working on. As part of
this years google summer of code I've done some initial work on running kde
on really small devices (openmoko neo1973 (too slow), freerunner (quite
acceptable), and nokia n810 (similar to freerunner)). Of course speed and
memory usage aren't the only problems, a much bigger problem is adapting the
user interface to work well on small screens, but there is also some work
going on in that area.
About akonadi, I don't think mysql is the only available storage backend, and
the main reasons they chose it as the default after evaluation several
options aren't really valid on small devices anyway (problems with concurrent
access/transactions/... I think, which shouldn't happen as much on a small
device as on a powerful computer).

Marijn Kruisselbrink