Virtualized developer system (was Re: Back to the basics: improving user experience)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Oct 18 03:46:58 CEST 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:10:12 +0200, "Christ van Willegen"
<cvwillegen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps another idea to lighten the core developers' load...
>
> Invest a little time (a day or so?) to properly set up a VMWare image
> that can be downloaded by developers that want to help in any way.
>
> Make it easy to update sources, and easy to build both kernel and
> userland stuff, and also to report patches. This way, developers don't
> need to invest loads of time into setting up stuff, if it can be done
> in one fell swoop.
>
> I, for one, would love to be able to run a VMWare image and dive into
> developing and debugging/enhancing.
>
> Christ van Willegen

What would you want to be included in such an image, realistically?    I
have one currently with Ubuntu 8.04 jeos+XFCE, toolchain, qemu via
mokomakefile, latest Enlightenemnt e17(as of three weeks ago, at least).

There was a thread here about 18 days ago entitled 'Developer environment
suggestion'.  Two things suggested in that thread that I've not yet done
are bitbake (I've used mokomakefile strictly to build the qemu gta01
emulation so far) and eclipse.  I was hoping to have the setup polished and
posted somewhere by now... :(