Back to the basics: improving user experience

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Oct 19 16:31:02 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 02:21:17PM +0100, Stroller wrote:

> >> imho that's exactly the kind of task openmoko did _not_ ask for.
> >>
> > I would respectfully disagree - Openmoko asked about "Improving user
> > experience", and users are saying they want to experience PIM
> > capabilities.
> >> and it's doable by community!
> >>
> > Agreed, it could be done by the community, but I don't see anyone
> > doing
> > it, and I'm not smart enough, nor do I have the time at the moment.
>

> It does not matter whether YOU could do it or not. it's a matter of
> where Openmoko's resources are best spent.
>
> If you can't write a PIM app, then you CERTAINLY can't write kernel
> drivers - THAT is where Openmoko's resources should be mist focussed,
> IMO. As others have stated, there is some hardware-level stuff that
> only Openmoko has NDA for. And without working hardware drivers to
> ensure that phonecalls work flawlessly (and wifi, and bluetooth), a
> PIM is irrelevant.

All hail that. And I'd add that that work should've been done ages ago.

Dear OpenMoko, please work on fixing those things only YOU[1] can
adequately fix.

[1] yes, we can also fix that, but without docs it's extremely harder

Many hugs and thanks for the courage to be the only Free Software phone
brand in the market.

You deserve all my respect, but if you don't fix these reliability
issues, I wouldn't bet on your longevity as an enterprise, and we'll all
be that much more poorer :|

Respect doesn't pay salaries, selling good phones does.

I love my OpenMoko, but if I didn't love Free Software, I think I
wouldn't be patient enough for all the problems :)

Rui

--
Or not.
Today is Boomtime, the 73rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?