LED notification

Denis Johnson denis.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 02:04:15 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:53 AM, Jason Cawood <jason at jasoncawood.com> wrote:
> My reason is because if I suspend my phone then I walk away and return
> to it, I have no visible notification I missed an event unless I touch
> the screen and see if my phone is still suspended.  If I'm not
> constantly touching the screen to make sure it's still suspended and I
> did miss an event.  Then my power consumption just increased and my
> battery life is quickly diminishing.

Andy Green in this thread said that it is possible to leave an LED on
prior to going to suspend. If that is the case then I suggest:
1. Whenever there is an event which requires user attention one LED is
turned on, I suggest the blue power LED.
   Events include:
   a) new unread sms
   b) new alarm
   c) missed call

2. LED stays on until user has confirmed ALL outstanding events.

3. Leave LED lit while going into suspend. This way way if the phone
wakes on call, alarm or SMS and there is no interaction from user
prior to suspend, whenever the user returns, then it will be clear
there has been a missed event.

The only difficulty I can see (without familiarity with all the
frameworks available to us) is knowing if there are any outstanding
events not yet confirmed by the user but I suspect some system level
daemon is required so that no individual user level application like
sms does not have to make decisions or be coupled to other subsystems.

Is this a viable approach ?

cheers Denis