Virtualized developer system (was Re: Back to thebasics:improving user experience)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Mon Oct 20 23:16:26 CEST 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 03:24:11 +1000, "Denis Johnson"
<denis.johnson at> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Jisakiel <jisakiel at> wrote:
>> ¿May I suggest the image being a virtualbox one instead of vmware?
> Virtualbox is quite fast as well, and there are free (as in speech)
> versions available for all major distros. Only problem is that the open
> source does not support usb (but the commercial version is freely
> downloadable and does).
>> Only free vmware nowadays are the player (no snapshots ability) and the
> server (too heavyweight, based on tomcat + firefox plugin).
> +1
> I have been using VirtualBox to run a Ubuntu guest for over a year
> now. Works very well, although I have not tried to connect neo
> directly to this instance. I ssh to another laptop running ubuntu
> natively to which I connect the FR.
> cheers Denis

I've not used VirtualBox before, will have to take a look at it.  I need to
work through the assembly once more anyway to document it better.

In the meantime I'll see about cleaning up a bit and figuring out how to
package the vmware image up as an appliance.  (I'm using the free vmware
server, BTW, running under Ubuntu Hardy)