[2008.x] GPRS Instructions on the Wiki

Arigead captain.deadly at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:14:05 CEST 2008

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:54:45 +0100, Arigead <captain.deadly at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Don't want to hijack the thread this stems from "Re: [2008.9] Wifi very
>> unreliable" but I mentioned there that external links from a wiki might
>> not be the best idea and that I was having problems with external GPRS
>> instructions linked from the relevant wiki page.
>>
>> Continued at the bottom of this:
>>
>> Nishit Dave wrote:
>>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Arigead <captain.deadly at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:captain.deadly at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     There is an external link on the GPRS wiki page to a German site for
>>>     installing the GSM Multiplexor and a GUI. I've been trying to get
>>>     those
>>>     instructions to work for the last couple of days. I assume I'm
>
> Just a note on this.  I've followed this (altered slightly as noted on the
> Wiki itself) several times successfully, several images.  About a month ago
> the mokoservicescripts.tar.gz file vanished, but a link later in the thread
> pointed to a mirror, where mokoscripts_r.tar.gz was available, same
> content.  But now that mirror is gone as well it seems.  If anyone wants
> the file and can't find it elsewhere, I've got it at
> http://newkirk.us/om/mokoscripts_r.tar.gz.  (I ended up stuffing that and a
> few other non-feed items in that folder and installing from a script
> whenever I reflashed)
>
> Thankfully that is unnecessary with frameworkd running the show.  I'm
> dual-booting right now between 2008.8u and Raster+FSO, and I love where
> things are going.  FSO includes the multiplexer and a complete dbus
> interface to it all, so that I can start up GPRS with just "mdbus -s
> org.freesmartphone.frameworkd /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device
> org.freesmartphone.GSM.PDP.ActivateContext internet3.voicestream.com x x"
> out of the box, no configuration or headache, while
> "GSM.PDP.DeactivateContext" brings it back down.

Wiki Instructions:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GPRS#Option_1:_With_GSM_multiplexing_and_with_a_GUI

Finally got this GPRS sort of working :-)

I put together a shell script of the steps I've taken to get this far. A
lot of issues I had involved installing from various repositories. I
basically add the angstrom repository for gsm0710muxd and then remove it
again for all the rest.

Now I can do a "gprson" and "gprsoff" and I get a connection but the
"service" GUI does not open and just pops up an error screen and states
that it's writing a log file to /home/root/Services.log but it does not
do that at all. I can't see an error message on logread either.

I might look into it but I'm just happy to have an IP address and I'll
rig up a desktop file for "gprson" and "gprsoff"

Thanks for all your pointers along the way