[2008.x] GPRS Instructions on the Wiki

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Tue Oct 21 13:23:38 CEST 2008

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GPRS#Option_1:_With_GSM_multiplexing_and_with_a_GUI

> Finally got this GPRS sort of working :-)
>
> I put together a shell script of the steps I've taken to get this far. A
> lot of issues I had involved installing from various repositories. I
> basically add the angstrom repository for gsm0710muxd and then remove it
> again for all the rest.
>
> Now I can do a "gprson" and "gprsoff" and I get a connection but the
> "service" GUI does not open and just pops up an error screen and states
> that it's writing a log file to /home/root/Services.log but it does not
> do that at all. I can't see an error message on logread either.

The wiki page you used includes the note:
**
Once you follow through with all the instructions, you will notice that the
"Services" GUI will crash. This has to do with this bug:
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1718

The fix is to change the "init()" call on line 82 of
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_init_.py to "_init()" (add an
underscore).
**

> I might look into it but I'm just happy to have an IP address and I'll
> rig up a desktop file for "gprson" and "gprsoff"
>
> Thanks for all your pointers along the way

But of course. :)