Android open sourced

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:56:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 17:48, Didier Raboud <didier at raboud.com> wrote:
> Cédric Berger wrote:
>
>> Here we are....
>>
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/10/android-open-source-cell-phone.html
>>
>> time to port to Neo !
>
> Hey... it says "open-source" (you can read the code) not "free software"
> (you can do whatever you want)...
>
> http://code.google.com/android/terms.html tells :
>
>> 3.1 Subject to the terms of this License Agreement, Google grants you a
>> limited, worldwide, royalty-free, non- assignable and non-exclusive
>> license to use the SDK solely to develop applications to run on the
>> Android platform.
>>
>> 3.2 (...)
>>
>> 3.3 Except to the extent required by applicable third party licenses, you
>> may not copy (except for backup purposes), modify, adapt, redistribute,
>> decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works of
>> the SDK or any part of the SDK.
>
> and others, and others and others... restrictions...
>
> And for the code itself...
>
> http://source.android.com/license/individual-contributor-license---android-open-source-project
>
> You have to grant your copyright to Google...
>
> I don't want to work non-paid for Google. But please do ! ;)

I have not read all yet but
"
Android Open Source Project license

The preferred license for the Android Open Source Project is Apache
2.0. Apache 2.0 is a commercial and open source friendly open source
license. The majority of the Android platform is licensed under the
Apache 2.0 license. While the project will strive to adhere to the
preferred license, there may be exceptions which will be handled on a
case-by-case basis. For example, the Linux kernel patches are under
the GPLv2 license with system exceptions, which can be found on
kernel.org .
"

So I guess it is open enough for you to modify it as you want.
Probably it is if you want not to fork it that you must adhere to some
google specific terms...