Android open sourced

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Wed Oct 22 03:33:39 CEST 2008

2008/10/21 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>

> you'd probably need to port androids display system to run under x11. ie a
> android window/surface == x11 window. also emulate any other things via
> icccm/netwm etc.
>
> this would actually be cool. you can run any desktop you like (2007.x
> matchbox
> style, e+illume, xfce... or anything else AND run android app AND run qt
> apps
> AND run gtk apps.. AND EFL, AND java... AND C#/mono, AND...)

That sounds awesome. If this worked, and was stable, the OpenMoko phones
could become the ultimate pocket devices: more flexible than the phones
designed for (and quite possibly limited to) Android. The scope for
increasing one's productivity with such a monster is great indeed, and given
that it's this kind of potential for productivity increases that draws me to
PDAs, I'm pretty excited by the prospect.

spk