[Debian] installer script

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Oct 22 10:54:43 CEST 2008

>> No, I have not tried the 512mb card (it's at home and I'm at college).
>> I'm not sure how to do what you're talking about arne, but you're
>> suggesting that I can install a base system and put Debian on that?  Can
>> you point me in the correct direction?
>>

> He was saying if you had your 512 to install debian on the 512 and the
> copy the data from that to your 8gb card

exactly.
the included 512mb card works -- if the installer still chokes there's
something else wrong.
after several failures with a 4g card i installed to the 512mb with the
installer (it might be a good idea to take one step at time -- i nearly
run out of space and had to clean /var/cache/apt/archives/ between two
steps).
then i mounted the 512mb in my pc, checked the partition values (size,
type), copied the content of the first one (kernel and a text file whose
purpose i do not yet grasp) and created from the second one a tar-ball
(some weeks ago there was a discussion how to migrate data that way, the
archive should show the different approaches -- tar, cp, rsync -- and
their parameters).
next step was to partition the bigger card: 8mb fat for the kernel, the
rest ext2 for the system itself.
copied the kernel+text file to the 8mb fat.
unpacked the tar ball into the second.

insert the card, start via aux+pwr and chose the second option (fat+ext2)
... and off you go.

i tried it first w/ a 4g card but w/o luck (did not boot) and then w/ 1g
which works.
as far as i understand there's a sandisk 8g sdhc ultra II that works out
of the box, ie no extra boot params, and survives suspend/resume. i am
about to order one and see, if it is true.