netfix testers?

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 12:00:59 CEST 2008

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:29:30 +0100, Alastair Johnson
> <alastair at truebox.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Joel Newkirk wrote:
>>> OK, I posted the updated package to
>>> htp://newkirk.us/om/testing/netfix-j2.tar.gz - using 'route' instead of
>>> 'ip' now to set up default routes.  So the only external dependency
>> should
>>> be for resolvconf on SHR and Raster (and I'm guessing FSO).
>>>
>>> Please test and post results or problems to this thread.
>> Sounds good. I'll give it a try when I get the chance. It sounds like it
>> should combine well with dnsmasq or similar.
>
> I've been using djbdns dnscache.  You just need the cache startup to also
> invoke "echo 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' | resolvconf -a lo" and it always uses
> local cache first, drops to next priority if cache is broken or stopped.
> You can also stuff a custom script in /etc/resolvconf/update.d that will be
> able to take the prioritized nameservers and update your cache to use them
> as upstream caches.  (I've an example script for dnscache, but it expects
> it to be running under the full daemontools+tcpserver setup whereas I run
> it as a simple standalone service)
>
> http://newkirk.us/om/dnscache_2.1.5_armv4t.ipk ;)

I couldn't see dnscache in OE but it sounds like the configuration to
work with resolvconf is similar. dnsmasq is already available in OE
which may make integration with the standard images easier. It also
serves dhcp which would be useful when hooking up to a random laptop to
provide GPRS access. I don't have any experience with either dnsmasq or
dnscache other than looking at the docs, so I'm interested in hearing
experience of their relative merits. IIRC someone (you?) mentioned a
peculiarity of the djbdns build that may make it hard to include in OE.