Back to the basics: improving user experience

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 22 13:17:00 CEST 2008

I'm still using 2007.2, because in my experience it does have the most
solid phone/sms functionality.

It's far from perfect, though:
- Suspend / resume is a dog, and since it's not being worked on any more
I'm doubtful that this will ever be fixed. I have suspend and resume
turned off, and use the 'dim only, don't lock' option, which turns off
and locks the screen (despite the label), but doesn't suspend it. This
gives reasonable reliability, but means you're limited to about 4-6
hours of battery life.

- hangs - after amassing quite a few SMS's and a large call history, it
takes a *long* time to open the dialler or the messaging application.
During this time it's sitting at 99% CPU utilization. It works, but you
need to be patient. Thankfully the dialler seems to pop up quickly when
you're recieving a call.

- Lockups - after using it for a while, it seems to require rebooting
about once every 2 days or so - it just seems to freeze for no apparent
reason. This may be due to something I've done.

I'm impressed by Qtopia and by FSO3, but both have caveats which for me
meant using 2007.2. I'm not a fan of ASU / 2008.x at all, although I am
about to give FDOM a try.

-Dale