[2008.x] GPRS Instructions on the Wiki

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 17:47:52 CEST 2008

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:12:12AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> When I looked at the prices for GPRS service from my provider (around
>> 3¢/kB), I was flabbergasted, and now I wonder: what do people do
>> with GPRS?  Do they have better deals from their carrier, or do they use
>> their bandwidth *very* sparingly?  If so, what tools do they use?
>
> When I looked at prices for GPRS and onwards, I decided I would never
> ever use such services, and advise everyone against using them.
>
> The only reason they cost so much, is so you don't use VOIP for cheaper
> calls.

VoIP over GPRS? Good luck with those latencies ;-)

GPRS and 3G data rates in the UK vary hugely between supplier and call
plan. On the prepay SIM I'm testing with 1 uk pound gets me 'unlimited'
use for a day,  though they're likely to suggest I change if I exceed
250MB, and I'm not supposed to use VoIP or connect a PC to it. Unless
they've changed the terms yet again. There are better rates if you're
going to use it every day, and there are rates almost as bad as the one
mentioned above.

Still people seem quite happy to pay for text messages. Work out the
cost per kB on those ;-)