GSM buzz and gsmhandset.state

Jan R jan.random at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:35:57 CEST 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:48:51 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> As I understood what Matt explained today, it seemed there was a danger
> that what these changes did was simply attenuate all the mic audio alike
> along with the buzz.
>
> It would be highly interesting clue if that was not the case...

If I am not horribly mistaken by all the knobs and dials that I turned,
it is actually possible to have higher mic amplification when mic audio
is routed through PGA than otherwise. Signal to noise ratio (or rather
signal to buzz ratio) is getting way better!

I just made another test call with the original profile (no buzzing this
time, bummer) and then switched to the modified gsmhandset.state and back
repeatedly. The modified profile made a faint buzzing appear - however,
mic audio was louder on the receiving end of the conversation. It was
described to me to be just like the difference between being talked to by
a person facing away from you (original profile) and a person talking to
you face to face (modified profile).

Another point made was that mic amplification seems to be a little high
with my new settings, resulting in a bit of distortion or clipping.

Greetings,
Jan