[Debian] Benefits of Kernel on separate Partition

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Tue Oct 28 01:11:42 CET 2008

| Hi Joachim,
| On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:41:33PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
|> I have heard rumors that uboot will not read very large ext2/3
|> partitions, therefore we create a small one in front. How large is your
|> card?
| I'm running debian on one 8GB ext2 partition since august without
| problems... Ok, almost without problems. I had to reformat the card
| and u-boot still reports "MMC/SD size: 3MiB" [1]. But this seems to
| be a general sdhc problem.

I've fixed this in Qi along with several other but I don't plan on
backporting it to U-Boot (although patches welcome)... to answer the
original question: no, the only reason for the initial VFAT partition is
that U-Boot ext2 parsing was broken for a long time.  It's fixed for a
while so if you use a custom U-Boot boot command, you can just do it all
in one ext2 / 3 partition now.

Or, you can use Qi which expects to boot from partition 1 that should be
ext2 / 3, and have /boot/uImage.bin there.

You can try current Qi here:

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)