Some debian questions

Guillaume Chereau charlie at
Wed Oct 29 04:21:01 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:29 +0800, Guillaume Chereau wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:51 +0100, Benedikt Bär wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am currently setting up a debian system on my FreeRunner, but I have
> > some questions. :)
> >
> > 1) I'm writing some python programs to interact with the FSO framework.
> > I have seen there's now support for a "rules" file, which seems quite a
> > nice idea.
> >
> > Now, I would like to be able to modify these rules via my program. That
> > way, for example, I could set a screen blanking / suspend timeout but my
> > program wouldn't have to listen to events. It would automatically be
> > done by the framework.
> >
> > Is this possible? If not, any plans to implement something like a D-BUS
> > interface for modifying rules?
> You can already add new rules using the dbus call :
> org.freesmartphone.Events.AddRule(s)
> the string should be in the same format than the rules in the rules
> file.
> For the way to modify rules, it is planned. Rules can have name (using
> 'name' attribute in the rules file.)
> I will take some time today to add a RemoveRule, so that you can add and
> remove rules.

Ok I added the RemoveRule method to oeventsd, you can check
in the framework tests directory to see how to add and remove rules.

BUT, it makes me realize a problem : the rules manager only activates
the rules that are specified in the rules preference file (e.g [0])

So if you add a new rule with a name, the rule won't be activated unless
you also specify that the rule is activated in the preference file. that
is not very good and we need to solve this problem.

 [0] :;a=blob;f=etc/freesmartphone/opreferences/conf/rules/default.yaml;h=e0066eff76973b5597d879bf81b0e0f490660bdb;hb=HEAD