[FSO] GSM Radar/AT Commands

Arigead captain.deadly at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:53:34 CET 2008

Alastair Johnson wrote:
> Arigead wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>     I'm living in the land that mobile phone coverage forgot and
>> thinking of how to improve my sorry situation. Before I go down the
>> route of putting a GSM Antenna on top of the house and having a cable
>> connected to my FreeRunner I thought I'd check out the other 2 GSM
>> operators in my area and see what the signal strength is for them. Now
>> my Nokia phone will not permit me to connect to a non vodafone signal so
>> I've no idea how strong it is using the nokia.
>> I'm not using the FR as a daily phone as yet but thought I could simply
>> use an AT command to do a quick check on the various signal strengths. I
>> tried "AT+WS46=?" but it has not come back to me and just hangs there.
>> Does anybody, with better knowledge of AT commands then me, know of a
>> likely command or if this is even possible.
>> I was hoping that if I could find a stronger signal in my area I'd just
>> change operator.
> AT+COPS=? will list the visible providers, but not their signal strengths.

Thanks for that. Yes I can confirm than AT+COPS=? lists the operators in
the area but according to the data returned they are forbidden networks
so I can't temporarily connect to them, and then use CSQ to get the
signal strength. Such is life.

Thanks for your help though. If fso has this stuff built in I missed it
when searching. I'll look on the wiki again. Given that the networks are
forbidden don't think there's much can be done.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)