[debian/zhone] Start up customization

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Oct 29 22:23:48 CET 2008

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 29.10.2008, 19:20 +0000 schrieb Neil Jerram:
> As they stand, I don't believe the zhone startup files support user
> customization.  Such as (in my case) starting up fbpanel and
> openmoko-panel-plugin.  Of course, you can change conf files under
> /etc, but then you'll have a conflict to resolve on next upgrade.
>
> I think what could work is
> - in /etc/init.d/zhone-session, don't pass $PROG_FSO to /etc/X11/Xsession
> - instead, drop a file into /etc/X11/Xsession.d which would set
> STARTUP to zhone-session if not already set; this would come after the
> file that looks for ~/.xsession.
>
> Then a user can customize the startup by creating a .xsession which
> ends with running zhone-session.
>
> So (i) does that sound good, and (ii) if so, who should I send a patch to?

what you describe has already happend, ans is renamed to “nodm” (for no
display manager). It is basically zhone-session, with all zhone-specific
parts removed. And it does indeed just start ~/.xsession (if no desktop
environment is installed), where the installer puts the default zhone
startup.

to switch, just run (via ssh, because it will kill your X server)
apt-get --purge remove zhone-install
apt-get install nodm
and put a suitable session in ~/.xsession

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner