locking touchscreen

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Sep 2 10:55:56 CEST 2008

On Tue, September 2, 2008 6:25 pm, Christian Adams wrote:

> moinmoin
>
> sometimes i just want to lock the screen like on my se-w810i - a
> simple keypad-lock.
> a way that just came to my mind could be to tell the kernel - maybe
> via sysfs - to suppress data coming out of the corresponding /dev/
> input/event1.
>
> would that be a) possible (andy?) and b) desired (community?)

Me too.

The way to do this is to open /dev/input/event1 and issue the EVIOCGRAB
ioctl.  However there is currently a patch in the openmoko kernel which
modifies EVIOCGRAB in such a way that it is no longer useful for this
purpose.
Before we can remove that patch, we need to fix tslib to so that it
doesn't use EVIOCGRAB in a way that depends on the kernel patch.

The fix for tslib is in the process of being committed to the
openmoko source tree (it is in some 'devel' tree but not in 'stable' yet,
though I almost certainly have those names wrong).
Once that has propagated reasonably, I will be asking Andy to
remove the EVIOCGRAB-modification patch from the kernel.

And once that it done, we can try use EVIOCGRAB to steal all events
from the touchscreen.

Simple!

NeilBrown