NjuBee - questions

Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes gunnar.grimnes at dfki.de
Tue Sep 2 15:40:39 CEST 2008

Hi Gunnar,

I guess your openmoko from pulster came with 2007.X (like mine did).
First of all - you can flash it to 2008.08 for a different set of bugs
:) Although it's not there yet - most development seems to happen on
2008.08 and this will at least improve.
If you also use the testing repository [1] for updates you can also get
a sensible keyboard, I think? If not, you can use the themes and
keyboard from [2] to make it beautiful and semi-usable.

The other issues I know nothing about - GPS works fine for me - even
with the SD card in.
This being said - I was also a bit disappointed how far openmoko still
has to go - especially with 2008.08 which is based on qtopia, which I
believed was already quite mature at least basic phone stuff should be
semi-usable. Oh well :) It will come soon enough!

- Gunnar

[1]
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Download#The_bleeding_edge:_Om_.22base_.2F_empty.22_images
[2]
http://52grad.de/.stuff/freerunner/

Gunnar Stahl wrote:
> Hi,
> i received my fr on friday (thanks to christoph from pulster) and
> although I am pretty good with linux in general and debian in particular
> I do have a couple of questions / concerns.
>
> At first, after the first outbursts of joy, some frustration started to
> creep in. Although I knew that fr was not really ready I find it somehow
> embarassing to see how many of the standard features of a standard phone
> do not work.
>
> I searched around the wiki and in the mailing lists, but the questions
> remained:
>
> - Sound: How do I adjust the speaker volume? Currently it blows my ears
> into oblivion when it is too close to my head.
> - Ringtones: Although this is not really important it annoys me to have
> to set it to vibrator for just not to wake up everybody in the office
> when someone calls me.
> - Whenever I have to plug out the battery for one of the various reasons
> like total freezes of the fr then the clock sets to 0:40 or something
> - Keyboard: This thing is ridiculously unusuable. As in ridiculous. I
> know there are developments going on, but it would be a heck of a lot
> more usuable if a fragging stylus had been on board (grrrr) (sorry).
> - Is there any user-friendly way to turn on gprs/edge?
> - GPS: No fix at all, even with sd-card miles away from the fr
>
> Any usefull suggestions?
>
> Yt,
>
> Gunnar

Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes