NjuBee - questions

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Tue Sep 2 15:42:45 CEST 2008

Hi Gunnar!

Answering your questions I expect you have 2008.08 installed. If not, try it
out. It is still not really stable and perfect usable, but has some very very
cool approaches to get there.

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 15:17:39 Gunnar Stahl wrote:

> - Sound: How do I adjust the speaker volume? Currently it blows my ears
> into oblivion when it is too close to my head.

No GUI yet. Try alsamixer :)

> - Ringtones: Although this is not really important it annoys me to have
> to set it to vibrator for just not to wake up everybody in the office
> when someone calls me.

In om-2008.08's Installer there is a package called qtopia-x11-ringtome-
profile. I tried installing it but it didn't show up... Perhaps you could give
it a try. Else you could try settings it "The-Linux-Way". Have a look at
/opt/Qtopia/etc/ if using 2008.08.

> - Whenever I have to plug out the battery for one of the various reasons
> like total freezes of the fr then the clock sets to 0:40 or something

Sorry... Can't help you here.

> - Keyboard: This thing is ridiculously unusuable. As in ridiculous. I
> know there are developments going on, but it would be a heck of a lot
> more usuable if a fragging stylus had been on board (grrrr) (sorry).

install illume-config-illume. Rasters keyboard is ridiculously cool :)

> - Is there any user-friendly way to turn on gprs/edge?

Not yet... QTopia has some approach in it, but it didn't work for me. It seems
that priority for this is not very high. Correct me if I'm wrong...

> - GPS: No fix at all, even with sd-card miles away from the fr

GPS actually works very good here. It gets the fix faster than any other GPS
device I own. Make sure you installed gpsd and set DEVICE to "/dev/ttySAC1" in
/etc/defaults/gps. Also make sure gpsd is running and that GPS is enabled in
the graphical settings menu. Else you won't get any fix. It sounds
complicated, but once everything is set up you can just enable/disable GPS via
the settings menu.

Have fun!