Time and Timezone issues...

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Wed Sep 3 04:22:29 CEST 2008

Setting the right time in my device is the only problem I wasn't able to
solve yet since the very first time... :o.

What I've done following the Date [1] and Timezone [2] wikis:
  - installed ntpclient
  - installed tzdata-europe
  - set the time using ntpclient -s -h pool.ntp.org
  - synced with the hardware clock
  - exported TZ=:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Rome in ~/.profile

Now, if I re-set the time using ntp I get the right time (in my
timezone), but if restart the device (without network connectivity, as
generally happens when you boot a phone!) I get back the UTC time
([mytime] - [2hours])!
This is too bad! To make my TZ to be considered I must run again the
ntpclient, but this need a network connectivity :|.

Any suggestion? If I syn-link /etc/timezone to my timezone file the same
happens (and on reboot the link is removed).

Then, in my phone I've two OS: qtopia (on SD) and 2008.8. I'd like to
keep both the clocks synced (not to change the time on each startup).

Ah... Time! :|

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Date
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Timezone
--