geomagnetic sensor?

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Wed Sep 3 06:30:30 CEST 2008

Wondering if anyone has explored this yet.  The wiki has the page on
the idea.  The AKM device is apparently no longer produced (link is
dead, search of their page produces no results), and the Honeywell is
significantly larger (and 2-axis instead of 3-axis) than the Yamaha.
Personally, I'd be thrilled to be able to tuck a YAS529 inside my
Freerunner...  ~$10 each samples, I2C serial interface, about 4mm^3,
it's just so appealing... With that plus the accelerometers and the GPS
we'd have position and orientation nailed now pretty well.  (well, at
least within the vicinity of the earth's surface ;)